Friday, July 29, 2011

All Alone in the Wild Blue Yonder

This week has been one of my most lonely and eye opening weeks of this summer. I have spent a lot of time at home and with my thoughts and while I've been home (alone on most days) I've been thinking about my friends and the relationships I have with them. There are some people in my life who I know I will be friends with for life while a majority I probably won't see or really speak to (save for facebook) for quite some time. While it frustrates me and makes me sad that these friends are not as close as we once were or as I hoped they would be, I am so grateful for those friends who are there for me and who will (God willing) be there for me during the roller-coaster of life.

My best friend Roxanne is like a sister to me and even though we don't get to see each other very often, I can go to her with any problems or questions and she helps me, guides me, and comforts me--and I do the same for her.

My friend Nick is the funny man in my life and I can always go to him for a laugh and a good time, but what many people do not realize it the wisdom and kindness that emanates from him and how good a friend he is. My boyfriend and I have spent several summer evenings just talking with him in his driveway for hours on end.

The last friend of mine who has always been there for me would be my boyfriend. When my aunt died last week, he rushed over with flowers and instead of volunteering at the hospital, he spent the whole day with me; when her funeral came around, he was there holding my hand or holding me in his arms as I said goodbye to another member of my family.

While I do realize that some friends left my life because of me and my actions and because they weren't really good friends to start off with, I do wish I had more contact with those friends that I don't see or talk to as often. My personal goal for next week is to try and re-establish a connection with one of my friends and I suggest all of my readers to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment