Friday, July 29, 2011

My Birthday

July 17th was my 20th birthday and to celebrate, my boyfriend manned up and took me to the San Antonio Museum of Art. I was so happy that he was willing to take me, since no one else in my family or friends in San Antonio were willing to do so. We spent 4 hours in the museum and I enjoyed every minute of it (and I think he did too). While we were there I was able to take tons of photos in the permanent exhibits (they would not allow any photography in the special exhibits, but I was okay with that since all the stuff I really enjoyed was in the permanent collections).

Here's a small selection of what I took that I thought my readers would enjoy:

Outside of the Museum-The San Antonio Museum of Art is housed in the former Lone Star Brewery.

Horus Falcon (Ptolemaic Period)-The fascinating thing about this bird is that while it was originally carved to represent the Egyptian god Horus, the Romans later took it (and others like it) and turned it into the Roman eagle.

Vessel in the Shape of a Parrot (Mochica Culture)-This was one of my boyfriend's favorite works of art (he had a strange liking to all the bird and animal sculpture and paintings that day)

The Lansdowne of Marcus Aurelius (Roman)-This was one of my favorite pieces of sculpture in the entire museum.

Noah Sacrificing After the Deluge by Benjamin West (Close-up on Doves and Rainbow)-This is part of a larger unfinished painting by Benjamin West. I took this picture because my mom loves the story of Noah and ark, particularly God's promise that He will never flood the earth like that again and how He sent the rainbow as a sign of that promise.

Charity the Teacher by Lorenzo Bartolini-This was another one of my favorite pieces of sculpture.


Oklahoma 4 by Luis Cruz Azaceta-The fascinating thing about this work of art is that it is built out of rubble from the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing

This is a picture of me standing outside of the San Antonio Museum of Art in front a work of art that was installed on the side of the building that was next to the SAMA parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment