Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Isn't that the way they say it goes...

Well, it's been awhile but I'm back. School has kept me extremely busy and next semester isn't going to be any easier since I'll be taking 18 hours. I have a project and/or paper and/or presentation in all of my current classes and they're all due in the next three weeks.

On the topic of school, I have been contemplating what I want to do once I graduate from college. I was talking to a friend the other day and they were talking about life after college and how important it is to do something you love. That made me pause because what I love has nothing to do with the major I am in or the possible career choices I've thought about. I realized that the jobs I was thinking about pursuing are interesting, but not something I see myself doing long term and that the jobs I would truly love either do not pay well, require extra schooling, or are impossible to get in to. While I will stick with this major and career outlook until I graduate and can afford to look into other job opportunities, I still want to end up doing something I love.

My family all support my current major and career choice. One side of my family thinks that my "loves" are a foolish waste of time and money and that if I try to do these jobs, then I should look for a husband who will be able to "take care of me" and the bills. It frustrated me and wanted me to tell them off, but if I did that, then I would have estranged myself from an entire side of my extended family.

I was listening to the Jim Croce song "Operator" and the first line of the chorus really stood out to me: "Isn't that the way they say it goes." I realized that life goes on, regardless of our wants, needs, or desires and often  things end up how they usually do, no matter what we may do to try and change them.

Life may be out of our control in our eyes, but I know that God is in control of everything. I hope your week goes well and I will post again on the one year anniversary of this blog (Sunday, November 20).

No comments:

Post a Comment